which LLVM source should I use in order to use SPIRV through DCompute ?

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 27 07:25:22 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 at 23:06:54 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 April 2018 at 22:51:59 UTC, bioinfornatics
> wrote:
>> Dear,
>>
>> Dcompute: https://github.com/libmir/dcompute need a SPIRV
>> capable LLVM.
>> For this Dcompute project show
>> https://github.com/thewilsonator/llvm as a SPIRV capable LLVM.
>>
>> But it is not an official llvm source, moreover the source is
>> outdated. Indeed it provide LLVM 5.0.0 while the current
>> stable is the 6.0.0
>
> It should provide 6.0.0, I'll fix this at DConf.
>
>> Furthermore kronos group provide too an old SPIRV capable LLVM
>> https://github.com/KhronosGroup/SPIRV-LLVM (3.6.1)
>
> Yep it's wayyy too old.
>
>> So can I use official LLVM source in order to use dcompute ?
>
> No. I plan to fix this after DConf.
>> If no, why the SPIRV feature part added to LLVM was not send
>> to the upstream ?
>
> Because Khronos hasn't got their act together or doesn't
> understand the importance of widespread support.

Thanks Nicholas for this quick answer,

About to push your work on llvm SPIR V enabled , by official
upstream (I was not very clear) I mean llvm.org not the khronos
group. Indeed I see on the llvm.org page a project named  libclc
: http://libclc.llvm.org/ and this project aims to implement the
OpenCL standard library.

Maybe your work could be put to this official project ?

Have a nice day

Jonathan