Favorite GUI library?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Sat Apr 28 13:01:20 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 28 April 2018 at 00:17:29 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 04/27/2018 06:29 AM, Chris wrote:
>> On Thursday, 26 April 2018 at 02:31:07 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
>> (Abscissa) wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Technology, science etc. are no exception to (natural) human
>> behavior: do as everybody else does, sure it's good. The
>> problem is that pragmatism ("I have to write in JS, if I want
>> to write a web app") turns into an ideology/relgion ("It's the
>> best thing we have, if it wasn't, we'd be using something
>> else, wouldn't we?"). Rationalizing irrational bs and
>> irrationalizing the rational is a defense mechanism of humans.
>> Groupthink and tribalism (hippsters) are part of our DNA,
>> sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it's an obstacle.
>>

> That may be so, but a big part of being a participant in
> civilized society, and far more than that, being a
> professional, means having the basic will, ability and
> responsibility to utilize our higher-level cognitive functions
> (which we've also evolved and are baked into our genetics) to
> selectively override the baser instincts, and to discern when
> and where it's appropriate to do so.
>
> It's a basic responsibility of being human, and it's a
> fundamental qualification of being a professional in a
> technical field.

I understand perfectly well what you mean. In theory, yes. But
reality is different. It takes a lot of time and effort to bring
about changes once something has been established. Just think of
how much harder it gets to decide where to go for a drink the
more people are involved. And usually you end up in a place
nobody is really happy with.