Is there any good reason why C++ namespaces are "closed" in D?

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Thu Aug 2 06:08:49 UTC 2018

Am Wed, 01 Aug 2018 22:13:05 -0700 schrieb Walter Bright:

> On 8/1/2018 12:01 PM, Manu wrote:
>> You've never justified the design complexity and the baggage it
>> carries.
> Don't confuse you not agreeing with it with I never justified it.
>
> And please don't confuse me not listening to you with me not agreeing
> with you.
>
> It *is* possible for reasonable people to disagree, especially when any
> solution will involve many tradeoffs and compromises.

In your most recent posts you provided some rationale for this, but
nowhere as much as would have been necessary if anybody else proposed
this feature and had to write a DIP for it. Introducing c++ namespace
scopes added quite some complexity to the language and so far, you seem
to be the only proponent of this, whereas we have many opponents. In the
DIP process, such a change would have required quite a solid
justification, examples, comparison to alternative solutions etc. Such a
detailed rationale has never been given for this feature.

--
Johannes