Will the PhotoObject DIP depercated the old Object class?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 20:20:32 UTC 2018

> On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 20:25:33 12345swordy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I am asking this, because if true then the DIP that I am
>> currently working on has been render obsolete as I have taken the
>> old Object class into account when writing this.
>
> It is not the plan to deprecate Object (nice as that would be), but if
> you're writing a DIP that specifically targets Object, then you may want to
> rethink it. It will continue to exist, but it's likely that its use will be
> discouraged, and regardless, whatever you're proposing will have to take
> into account that many classes will have nothing to do with Object (though
> that's actually already possible thanks to extern(C++)).

Well, I would expect that it's possible at some point to deprecate the
*default* base being Object.

that is, currently you do not have to type your class as:

class C : Object

But you would have to type your ProtoObject based class as:

class C : ProtoObject

We could easily deprecate the default (require people to specify the
base), and then at some point remove the requirement for ProtoObject.

But I wouldn't expect it to happen for years. Probably after much
frustration of having to remember the ProtoObject base specification.

-Steve