Is there any good reason why C++ namespaces are "closed" in D?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Aug 5 23:28:06 UTC 2018

On 8/4/2018 12:45 AM, Manu wrote:
> [...]
I get it, Manu, you don't find my arguments compelling. You've put these forth
before, and I could repeat myself rebutting each. I expect we're at a dead end
with that.

But the fact remains, I've shown both you and Atila how to make things work for
you, in a hygienic manner, with the language as it is now. For you, it's adding
an alias declaration. For Atila, it's a couple lines of boilerplate dpp can add,
without disrupting dpp's internal design.

I understand you don't want to type in the alias declaration. May I suggest
using Atila's dpp? Then you won't have to even look at the output. I also expect
that your use cases can help make dpp better, and that would be good for all of us.

---

P.S. I have no experience with dpp and how it is used. But my experience with
translators is that nobody expects to nor wants to look at its output. They just
want it to work. And it seems a fact of life that the output of machine
translation resists being purty, because what's purty in A never looks purty in B.