Is there any good reason why C++ namespaces are "closed" in D?

aliak something at something.com
Mon Aug 6 19:39:16 UTC 2018

On Friday, 3 August 2018 at 21:20:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Yes. But then you'll have the people who want a 1:1
> correspondence with their C++ files and the corresponding D
> files. I happen to be one of those people, for the ease of
> maintaining a translation (and for comparing it with the
> original C++ source code if it is not behaving correctly).

This would still be true if current behavior was kept and
extern(C++, "ns") or extern(C++, ns, noscope) or something was
added though no?

Though I do think the string is superior though because then this
would actually compile:

extern(C++, "shared") {
     void f();
}

It feels the two preferences being mutually exclusive has somehow
occupied a lot of this discussion when they are not.

Cheers,
- Ali