DIP 1017--Add Bottom Type--Community Review Round 1

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Thu Aug 9 22:13:05 UTC 2018

On 09.08.2018 05:02, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community Review for
> DIP 1017, "Add Bottom Type":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/8274b0f600075e4553b41c31f4b77be2d917bb40/DIPs/DIP1017.md
>

> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should occur in
> this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET on August 24, or
> when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary, the DIP
> will be scheduled for another round. Otherwise, it will be queued for
> the Final Review and Formal Assessment by the language maintainers.
>
> Please familiarize yourself with the documentation for the Community
> Review before participating.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/PROCEDURE.md#community-review
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.

Copy-paste of my comment on the DIP pull request:

"`Tbottom* → Tbottom` and `Tbottom[] → Tbottom` seem a bit unprincipled.
I'd have rather expected to see `Tbottom* == typeof(null)` and
`Tbottom[] == typeof([])`. In general, I'd advise against having special
rules with regards to type construction, as special behavior like this
can harm generic code."

I think if we in fact want to have some sort of "bottom propagation"
nonetheless, it should be expression-based, not type-based.