Reimplementing software building blocks like malloc and free in D

Aruna Maurya aruna.maurya12 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 04:16:24 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 11 August 2018 at 20:15:06 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 August 2018 at 18:59:00 UTC, Aruna Maurya wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
> The compiler recognizes certain expressions and lowers them to
> functions in the D runtime that we call runtime hooks.  See
> https://wiki.dlang.org/Runtime_Hooks for an unmaintained, but
> still relevant, list of some of them.
>
> [...]

So there are essentially two requirements here. Building the
memory management functionalities from scratch in idiomatic D and
implementing the existing runtime hooks as templates. The latter
isn't quite a part of the idea as mentioned on the page.

Also I see in one of the above replies that malloc and free have
been already implemented. So is that off the shelf or still
available for implementation?

> [...]

Thanks for the resource! Will go through it and get back in case
of any doubts.