Reimplementing software building blocks like malloc and free in D

Aruna Maurya aruna.maurya12 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 06:44:37 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 12 August 2018 at 05:24:56 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 August 2018 at 04:16:24 UTC, Aruna Maurya wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
> I'd say there is only 1 requirement:  implementing `malloc`,
> `realloc`, and `free` in idiomatic D without any dependencies
> on other libraries from other languages.
>
> [...]
Also what about other implementations like memset or memcmp. Have
they been implemented or require work from scratch?

> But, how does it perform?  In order to make the case for using
> these D implementations in druntime, we'll have to gather some
> metrics on the implementations in terms of performance, memory
> fragmentation, etc. and ensure they are on par with the C
> standard library implementations or alternative implementations
> like jemalloc and tcmalloc?
>
> [...]

So the only option to implement the above is to go through
Eugene's code, take some measurements and see if it can be
improved.

> Perhaps the D implementations can be enhanced to provide
> compile-time or runtime tuning parameters to achieve better
> performance in different use cases.
>
> [...]
That's totally okay. Your every comment is making the idea more
clearer!