Found on proggit: Nim receives funding from a company (D should be doing something like this)

I Lindström nota.real at address.com
Mon Aug 13 10:26:35 UTC 2018

On Monday, 13 August 2018 at 09:50:29 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Announced last week, the Nim team will be adding two full-time
> paid devs and setting up grants for needed projects with this
> new funding:
>
> https://our.status.im/status-partners-with-the-team-behind-the-programming-language-nim/
> https://nim-lang.org/blog/2018/08/07/nim-partners-with-status.html
>
> D should also be trying to raise resources like this, though it
> doesn't have to be corporate funding from one source. This
> company funding Nim raised $100 million in an ICO last year to
> build some kind of cryptocurrency-oriented mobile apps platform:
>
> https://www.inc.com/brian-d-evans/status-ico-raised-over-100-million-for-ethereum-powered-dapps-on-ios-and-androi.html
>
> There are risks, of course. This company could flame out, like
> many of these new cryptocurrency companies do, leaving Nim
> without ongoing funding. Their priorities may not align with
> the Nim core team.
>
> However, there are other ways to raise funds. Companies using D
> could use the existing bountysource page to put up bounties for
> features/fixes or projects they need, to which community
> members who need some particular feature/fix could also donate:
>
> https://www.bountysource.com/teams/d
>
> There are two primary factors in the success of any project,
> design and resources. I'm reasonably happy with the design of D
> and how technical decisions are being made. I think this is a
> core strength of D.
>
> However, it appears the D core team has so far been doing a
> horrible job in gathering resources for the project. I'm not
> privy to any internal discussions or if this is being discussed
> at all. But it needs to be a priority for the ongoing growth of
> this project.

I do agree on your points Joakim. The "orgs using D"-section has
seen growth over the time I've been here so that's something, but
it'd be good if the collaborations would rise above the news
threshold.

Also, has the bounty been suggested to the organizations using D?
It could help develop aspects of D that are needed to break
through into the wider world. As much fun as it is to do personal
projects, D needs the features that are required by companies or
other organizations to grow. D also needs the funding to operate
the infrastructure, advertise and pay out something as an
incentive for what to build to help those wishing to dev (more)
full-time. The latest blog post about funding code-d was a step
into the right direction IMO.

It would be nice to hear from the core team if something is in
the Works besides the code-d-project. If help is needed on where
or how to try and get support, I can volunteer with what I know
about the subject to throw around ideas or come up with plans. I
have only a BBA so if someone knows more, it might be good if
they volunteered instead/too.