DIP 1017--Add Bottom Type--Community Review Round 1

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 19:29:30 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 11 August 2018 at 10:04:14 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
wrote:
> On Friday, 10 August 2018 at 13:15:46 UTC, Dukc wrote:
>> The benefit would be that null can be a regular pointer
>> constant (enum null = typeof(&assert(false)).init) instead of
>> a symbol with special meaning. I'd think it makes compiler
>> rules less complex.
>
> I disagree.

I have no doubt you know more about compiler internals than me so
not arguing about that.

>> Another advantage is that you could pass null as an argument
>> for a function template which wants to know it's element type
>> (but of course not instantiate it) like any other pointer.
>
> Of what _practical use_ is that?

Tried to come up with an example but it would be so far-fetched
that it won't be a reason in itself to add a new feature.

I have to start to think longer before I post.