OT (Was: Re: Found on proggit: Why D is a good choice for writing a language)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Aug 17 16:00:30 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 03:39:44PM +0000, zabruk via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 17 August 2018 at 14:11:24 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > NoScript is your friend.
> >

> Yes.
> But i just wonder: site creators make secret war with us (users). They
> make we harder and harder, we struggle by noscript and other technics
> :)
> Did you see sites, where links made with js, so i cant open it in
> other browser tab (i just see javascript:void() in url bar)?
> Sites full with bells and whistles, but with broken surfing...
> Very strange... Looks like sites creators are not web surfers...

As someone once said: "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately
explained by incompetence."

Most of the time, web devs are just reusing stuff (libraries,
frameworks, languages, etc.) somebody else has made, and don't really
give much thought to it except that it works for them.  Not everyone
bothers to make things work degrade gracefully the way HTML/JS/etc. are
supposed to.  Even though personally I reserve JS only for truly
necessary occasions where the functionality cannot be replicated by
anything else, the vast majority of web devs today see JS as something
that can simply be assumed to be there, and so have no qualms about
making links that only exist in JS.  They're not deliberately out to
break things for non-JS users or old browsers -- there is no "secret
war" -- they just aren't targeting that audience. Most users don't even
know the difference anyway.

People like us who prefer to use HTML links for what they're supposed to
be used for, are in the minority.  On my part, I don't even use JS on my
own website, and no heavy graphics except where it's actually part of
the content.  The site loads in subseconds, and with minimal memory
requirements.  No need for heavy-weight RAM-consuming CPU-hogging script
libraries that aren't actually needed to put out the content.  But this
approach to web design is pretty much unheard of these days, even though
IMO it makes the most sense.

Let's not fight disease by killing the patient. -- Sean 'Shaleh' Perry