[OT] Leverage Points

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sun Aug 19 14:08:28 UTC 2018

On 20/08/2018 1:51 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 August 2018 at 22:20:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 8/18/2018 9:59 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>>> In your mind, what defines the D language's level of success?
>>
>> It no longer needs me or Andrei.
>
> Yes, I think this state would be a good indicator of success. This
> requires attracting developers with strong technical ability and good
> leadership to manage it. I think requires cultivating a community that
> rewards good work and encourages contribution. When I was heavily
> contributing, it was because of people like Seb and Mike who would
> review pull requests and tried to keep the flow of work moving.  But
> many time it was quashed by other developers and eventually it didn't
> make sense for me to contribute anymore when dozens of hours of good
> work can't get through.  If this doesn't change, D won't be able to keep
> good developers.

We need a dedicated project manager to facilitate communication and to
keep PR's and issues moving. Nobody to my knowledge is taking on this
role and Walter definitely isn't able to do it (which he shouldn't be
doing anyway).

It may be easier to ask for a company to donate somebody to fill this
role than it would be to get developers from them. Either way, we need
to hire somebody into this role. Because right now, we haven't got
somebody who sits on the fence about issues, who's only goal is to keep
everybody working together.

This release of dmd should have had a fully reloadable frontend in it.
But alas somebody does disagree with me on some fundamental enough
points that the PR is now pretty much dead after sitting since DConf.
Worse than that was it was only the beginning of the PR's required to
make it happen.

Point is, somebody should have either forced me to make a change that I
disagreed with or had it pulled. But alas, all I see is my desire to
rewrite the parser growing (bad sign).