[OT] Leverage Points

Guillaume Piolat spam at smam.org
Sun Aug 19 21:59:15 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 19 August 2018 at 19:52:44 UTC, Dave Jones wrote:
> Stuff like that, hey we made D much better now, not stuff about
> some corporate user who does targeted advertising.

I'm of the complete opposite opinion.

Everyone like to make money, especially more than the industry
average; and we should push the narrative that using D lets you
print money in unsuspecting markets (and that's really not far
from the truth).

In Reddit recently there was than comment:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/97q9sq/why_d_is_a_good_choice_for_writing_a_language/e4ce7kx

Who wants to be the competitor getting crushed by the competition
because of not using a nimbler, faster language to develop in?*
Yet that sort of thing happens a hell of a lot in practice.

Constant factors matters a lot when you work on high-performance
software, if you can develope 30% faster for the same result then
it's a huge competitive advantage.

> I'm not saying stuff like that isnt valuable, just that it's
> not gonna crank the faucet very much compared with stuff like
> "The D xml parser smokes the competition"

I think that doesn't really move the needle, every native
programmer knows that native languages are approximately as fast
and that the fastest program had more engineering hours in it. It
is _possible_ to have the faster program in any (native)
language, now _how long_ will it take?

However if you can have something more featureful with less
effort that doesn't run slower then it's appealing. Benchmarks
where development time is missing just tell half the story.