Is @safe still a work-in-progress?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 13:46:48 UTC 2018

On 8/17/18 11:04 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/17/2018 11:17 AM, bachmeier wrote:
>> This is a good example of D needing to evolve or fizzle out. I don't
>> see evidence that the community has yet figured out how to evolve the
>> language. If it had, these problems would not be around for so many
>> years.
>
> We deprecate features of D all the time. (Remember the D1 => D2
> wrenching change?)

Hm... if you are going for "all the time", the example of D1 to D2
transition is pretty dated.

I'd say more like the addition of UDAs was a big evolution. Or maybe UFCS.

> The reason @safe cannot be default at the moment it because -dip1000
> needs work, and nobody is willing to pitch in and review/pull my PRs on it.

I would, but I have no idea how dip1000 is supposed to work. I think
only you understand it. Even looking at the PR that you have been citing
over and over, I can't make heads or tails of what it does or what it
allows.

-Steve