[OT] Leverage Points

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 14:46:50 UTC 2018

On Monday, 20 August 2018 at 08:31:15 UTC, Dave Jones wrote:
n production.

> Im not trying to be negative but if Nim or Rust released a blog
> post saying "We made find faster" is it going to get you to try
> them out? Is it enough of an enticement to get over you
> preconceptions about those languages and to think maybe they
> are worth a try?

The majority of the page views on the blog overall come from
reddit, twitter and (for the posts that are shared there) HN.
That particular post generated a lot of feedback in the reddit
comments, much of it positive. The same for Walter's BetterC
posts. That sort of content is what people like to discuss, and
when that discussion is positive it's a net win for D. Whether
that specific post brought anyone in is irrelevant.It certainly
influenced opinions about D to some degree.

Programming languages aren't impulse buys. When you read enough
thoughtful articles about a language and see enough positive
discussion about it, it will be more likely to come to mind later
on down the road when you're looking for something new. I'm
working on another project right now that I intend to use
together with the blog to continue to build that sort of capital.

As for the content, separate that which I target toward the D
community and that which I target outside the community. The
former goes to /r/d_language and the latter to /r/programming.
Invariably, the latter gets many more page views. How that
translates into a conversion ratio in actually bringing people to
give D a try I couldn't say. I only measure feedback in terms of
page views and discussion.

I'm continually learning new things about the content, from
little things about how seemingly innocuous lines can set off a
massive negative thread in reddit to broader concepts about what
kinds of content do well with the right taglines. That influences
how I write my own posts, what sort of content I'm looking for at
any given moment, and how I edit posts. I'm also always on the
lookout for new ideas.

The type and quality of content is not a concern from my
perspective. I've got a good handle on that. The bigger issue is
quantity. I need more people submitting content. Period.