[OT] Leverage Points

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Wed Aug 22 13:17:00 UTC 2018

On Monday, 20 August 2018 at 03:57:10 UTC, John Carter wrote:
> * Choice. ie. Programmers _want_ to use it, not are constrained
> to use it.
> * For programming activity, not new projects. ie. The era of
> vast tracts of green field programming is long gone. We're
> mostly in the era tinker toys and tidying.

That's a matter of choice, some are tidying, but there's a lot of
green field programming even in C, and new languages are all
green fields.

> There is a big difference between "Doing a lot of" and "Being
> Good at".

That's why you can't be tidying all the time, you can improve,
but can't become good this way.

> By tidying I mean refactoring legacy code that is way too large
> and complex to rewrite all at once.

Nobody is going to deep refactoring; example: C/C++ (well, you
mention them too) and pretty much everything. And it's that large
because it accumulated garbage and rewrite will cut it to a
manageable size; example: s2n (fun fact: it's written in C, but
uses slices for safety just like D).