concurrency call to arms

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Aug 22 16:56:09 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-08-16 at 16:33 -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> I read both articles, and am quite impressed by the revolutionary way
> of
> looking at concurrency.  It provides a clean(er) abstraction that can
> be
> reasoned about much more easily than currently prevalent models of
> concurrency.  Seems it would fit right in with D's message-based
> concurrency communication model.

I found the assumptions about what goroutines were to be wrong. Yes
there is an interesting structure built using Python context managers
to manage tasks executed by time division multiplexing, but is that
really needed since the current systems work just fine if you have
threadpools and multiple executing threads – as Java, Go, etc. have but
Python does not.

[…]

> Indeed.  It certainly seems like a promising step toward addressing
> the
> nasty minefield that is today's concurrent programming models.

I'd say processes and channels works just fine. What is this really
providing outside the Python sphere? (Also Javascript?)

[…]
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200