D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Shachar Shemesh shachar at weka.io
Thu Aug 23 03:50:44 UTC 2018

On 22/08/18 21:34, Ali wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 at 17:42:56 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Pretty positive overall, and the negatives he mentions are fairly
>> obvious to anyone paying attention.
>
> Yea, I agree, the negatives are not really negative
>
> Walter not matter how smart he is, he is one man who can work on the so
> many things at the same time
>
> Its a chicken and egg situation, D needs more core contributors, and to
> get more contributors it needs more users, and to get more users it need
> more core contributors

No, no and no.

I was holding out on replying to this thread to see how the community
would react. The vibe I'm getting, however, is that the people who are
seeing D's problems have given up on affecting change.

It is no secret that when I joined Weka, I was a sole D detractor among
a company quite enamored with the language. I used to have quite heated
water cooler debates about that point of view.

Every single one of the people rushing to defend D at the time has since
come around. There is still some debate on whether, points vs. counter
points, choosing D was a good idea, but the overwhelming consensus
inside Weka today is that D has *fatal* flaws and no path to fixing them.

And by "fatal", I mean literally flaws that are likely to literally kill
the language.

And the thing that brought them around is not my power of persuasion.
The thing that brought them around was spending a couple of years
working with the language on an every-day basis.

And you will notice this in the way Weka employees talk on this forum:
except me, they all disappeared. You used to see Idan, Tomer and Eyal
post here. Where are they?

This forum is hostile to criticism, and generally tries to keep everyone
using D the same way. If you're cutting edge D, the forum is almost no
help at all. Consensus among former posters here is that it is generally
a waste of time, so almost everyone left, and those who didn't, stopped
posting.

And it's not just Weka. I've had a chance to talk in private to some
other developers. Quite a lot have serious, fundamental issues with the
language. You will notice none of them speaks up on this thread.

They don't see the point.

No technical project is born great. If you want a technical project to
be great, the people working on it have to focus on its *flaws*. The D's
community just doesn't do that.

To sum it up: fatal flaws + no path to fixing + no push from the
community = inevitable eventual death.

With great regrets,
Shachar