D is dead

Shachar Shemesh shachar at weka.io
Thu Aug 23 04:44:47 UTC 2018

On 23/08/18 07:35, Dukc wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 03:50:44 UTC, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>> Every single one of the people rushing to defend D at the time has
>> since come around. There is still some debate on whether, points vs.
>> counter points, choosing D was a good idea, but the overwhelming
>> consensus inside Weka today is that D has *fatal* flaws and no path to
>> fixing them.
>>
>> And by "fatal", I mean literally flaws that are likely to literally
>> kill the language.
>
> How so? If he's right with those issues, they can definitely prevent D
> from becoming mainstream, but how would they kill D? I mean, will not
> there always be some existing users who have no need or wish to move on?

Maintaining a language requires a lot of work. The "payback" for that
work comes from people who actually use that work.

If the D community starts to contract, it will become more and more
difficult to find people willing to work on D's core features, which
will lead to stagnation which is the same as death.

But, again, it is interesting to see what you took from my mail. I'd be
much more worried about the fact that it is working with D that caused
people to recognize the problems as fundamental than about what "death"
means in this context.

Shachar