D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 05:20:43 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 03:50:44 UTC, Shachar Shemesh
wrote:
> No, no and no.
>
> I was holding out on replying to this thread to see how the
> community would react. The vibe I'm getting, however, is that
> the people who are seeing D's problems have given up on
> affecting change.
>
> It is no secret that when I joined Weka, I was a sole D
> detractor among a company quite enamored with the language. I
> used to have quite heated water cooler debates about that point
> of view.
>
> Every single one of the people rushing to defend D at the time
> has since come around. There is still some debate on whether,
> points vs. counter points, choosing D was a good idea, but the
> overwhelming consensus inside Weka today is that D has *fatal*
> flaws and no path to fixing them.

A list, please? Now that I actually have time to fix things, I
intend to do so.

> And by "fatal", I mean literally flaws that are likely to
> literally kill the language.
>
> And the thing that brought them around is not my power of
> persuasion. The thing that brought them around was spending a
> couple of years working with the language on an every-day basis.
>
> And you will notice this in the way Weka employees talk on this
> forum: except me, they all disappeared. You used to see Idan,
> Tomer and Eyal post here. Where are they?
>
> This forum is hostile to criticism, and generally tries to keep
> everyone using D the same way. If you're cutting edge D, the
> forum is almost no help at all. Consensus among former posters
> here is that it is generally a waste of time, so almost
> everyone left, and those who didn't, stopped posting.
>
> And it's not just Weka. I've had a chance to talk in private to
> some other developers. Quite a lot have serious, fundamental
> issues with the language. You will notice none of them speaks
> up on this thread.
>
> They don't see the point.

That reminds me, what happened to our conversation with Ali
Çehreli about splitting general into Technical and less
technical? Not to imply that the problems listed are purely
technical. There is a distinct lack of well documented direction
beyond incremental improvements.

> No technical project is born great. If you want a technical
> project to be great, the people working on it have to focus on
> its *flaws*. The D's community just doesn't do that.
>
> To sum it up: fatal flaws + no path to fixing + no push from
> the community = inevitable eventual death.
>
> With great regrets,
> Shachar

Indeed. It is time to push, then.

Nic