D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 06:04:37 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 03:50:44 UTC, Shachar Shemesh
wrote:

> And it's not just Weka. I've had a chance to talk in private to
> some other developers. Quite a lot have serious, fundamental
> issues with the language. You will notice none of them speaks
> up on this thread.
>
> They don't see the point.
>
> No technical project is born great. If you want a technical
> project to be great, the people working on it have to focus on
> its *flaws*. The D's community just doesn't do that.
>
> To sum it up: fatal flaws + no path to fixing + no push from
> the community = inevitable eventual death.

The D Foundation has an Open Collective page
(https://opencollective.com/dlang) with a $12,000 annual
"Corporate Bronze" option that includes 3 priority bug fixes per
month.  Is that not a worthwhile investment for Weka or other
organizations invested in D to help address some of the problems
you're encountering?  If not, is there an option that would be?

Mike