D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Thu Aug 23 06:58:13 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 03:50:44 UTC, Shachar Shemesh
wrote:
> On 22/08/18 21:34, Ali wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 at 17:42:56 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> Pretty positive overall, and the negatives he mentions are
>>> fairly obvious to anyone paying attention.
>>
>> Yea, I agree, the negatives are not really negative
>>
>> Walter not matter how smart he is, he is one man who can work
>> on the so many things at the same time
>>
>> Its a chicken and egg situation, D needs more core
>> contributors, and to get more contributors it needs more
>> users, and to get more users it need more core contributors
>>

> No, no and no.
>
> I was holding out on replying to this thread to see how the
> community would react. The vibe I'm getting, however, is that
> the people who are seeing D's problems have given up on
> affecting change.
>
> It is no secret that when I joined Weka, I was a sole D
> detractor among a company quite enamored with the language. I
> used to have quite heated water cooler debates about that point
> of view.
>
> Every single one of the people rushing to defend D at the time
> has since come around. There is still some debate on whether,
> points vs. counter points, choosing D was a good idea, but the
> overwhelming consensus inside Weka today is that D has *fatal*
> flaws and no path to fixing them.
>
> And by "fatal", I mean literally flaws that are likely to
> literally kill the language.
>
> And the thing that brought them around is not my power of
> persuasion. The thing that brought them around was spending a
> couple of years working with the language on an every-day basis.
>
> And you will notice this in the way Weka employees talk on this
> forum: except me, they all disappeared. You used to see Idan,
> Tomer and Eyal post here. Where are they?
>
> This forum is hostile to criticism, and generally tries to keep
> everyone using D the same way. If you're cutting edge D, the
> forum is almost no help at all. Consensus among former posters
> here is that it is generally a waste of time, so almost
> everyone left, and those who didn't, stopped posting.
>
> And it's not just Weka. I've had a chance to talk in private to
> some other developers. Quite a lot have serious, fundamental
> issues with the language. You will notice none of them speaks
> up on this thread.
>
> They don't see the point.
>
> No technical project is born great. If you want a technical
> project to be great, the people working on it have to focus on
> its *flaws*. The D's community just doesn't do that.
>
> To sum it up: fatal flaws + no path to fixing + no push from
> the community = inevitable eventual death.

Can you list what you or other Weka devs believe those fatal
flaws to be? Because you've not listed any here, which makes you
no better than some noob that comes in here, says D has to get
better or it will die, then can't articulate what they mean by
"better" or worse, mentions something trivial. Of course, you've
actually used the language for years, so presumably you've got
some real concerns, but do you really think the bug you just
posted is "fatal" to the language?

If you think there are fatal flaws, you might as well list them,
whether technical or the development process, or you will just be
ignored like any other noob who talks big and can't back it up.
You may be ignored anyway, ;) but at least you'll have made a
case that shows you know what you're talking about.