D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Trass3r un at known.com
Thu Aug 23 10:17:15 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 07:37:07 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Possible Solution: Make all globals hidden by default unless
> 'export'.

Same mess as in C++. But there you have -fvisibility=hidden at
least to fix it.

> Side effects: Everyone will be spending weeks to months fixing
> their libraries in order to only mark what should be visible
> outside the current compilation unit as 'export'.

Shouldn't it be sufficient to put an export: at the top of each
module to roll back to the old behavior and do the real fix later?

> Benefits: Faster compile times, as in, in the most extreme
> example I've built one project on github with gdc -O2 and build
> time went from 120 seconds to just 3!

So why not add such an opt-in flag to all compilers, deprecate
the old behavior and do the switch at some point.