D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

bachmeier no at spam.net
Thu Aug 23 14:29:23 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 03:50:44 UTC, Shachar Shemesh
wrote:

> To sum it up: fatal flaws + no path to fixing + no push from
> the community = inevitable eventual death.
>
> With great regrets,
> Shachar

I want to jump in for the sake of someone from the outside coming
in and reading this to say that I disagree. I don't know a whole
lot about the type of development you're doing, because that's
not my line of work, and you obviously know that area well.
However, for scripting tasks (as Dicebot mentioned) D is great.
It is also great for real but smaller projects (5,000-20,000
lines). I don't think there's a better choice right now for data
science/scientific programming, where you have many small jobs
going on repeatedly, and those are large and growing areas.

Weka is an awesome project, but I don't know that most people
considering D should use your experience as the basis of their
decision. At least in my areas, I expect considerable growth in
the usage of D over the next 10 years. Maybe it won't see much
traction as a C++ replacement for large projects like Weka.