Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Aug 23 15:17:37 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 09:51:43PM +1200, rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 23/08/2018 9:45 PM, Mihails wrote:
> > On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 09:30:45 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> > > Whoever acts as a project manager would need to be given the
> > > ability to override W&A as far as process is concerned. They
> > > shouldn't be able to create said process, but should be able to
> > > enforce it.
> >
> > Good luck getting W&A to agree to it, especially when there is yet
> > another "critical D opportunity" on the table ;)
>
> No. They have power for as long as we the community say that they do.
> We are at the point where they need a check and balance to keep
> everybody going smoothly. And I do hope that they listen to us before
> somebody decides its forkin' time.

And the nice thing about D being open source is that should the
situation escalate to the point where the community simply cannot get
along with W&A anymore, forking is always an option.  (Hopefully it
won't come to that, though. AFAIK there was a fork during the D1 fiasco
with Tango vs. Phobos, but that fork has since basically died.
Maintaining a language is a lot of work, and not everyone has the
persistence to stick with it for the long haul.)

Guns don't kill people. Bullets do.