D is dead

Shachar Shemesh shachar at weka.io
Thu Aug 23 16:22:54 UTC 2018

On 23/08/18 17:01, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> If they are blocking
> your work, complain about them loudly, every day. But not filing them
> doesn't help anyone.

The economics don't add up.

If a bug is blocking my work, there are two options:
1. I work around it, at which point it is no longer blocking my work
(grep mecca for DMDBUG)
2. Work actively (in our case, get Johan to do so) until it does not.

Waiting for the community to fix a bug in D that is blocking Weka will
get Weka kicked out of the market. There is no value proposition. We
simply have to work faster than that.

The problem is that once I do work around a bug, I no longer have the
resources to continue complaining about it. I need to move on. My main
job is to develop for Weka, not develop D itself.

So telling me to keep filing them is simply a non-starter. I've got bugs
that simply don't reproduce in watered down examples. I will not spend
two days just to create a test case that demonstrates the bug outside
the Weka code base. If nothing else, my boss won't allow me to spend
that time.

Oh, and our code base over 300,000 lines. Don't say "dustmite". It is
unable to process the code.

> I'm not saying all bugs you file will be fixed, but all bugs you *don't*
> file will definitely not be fixed.

So far, my experience is that it has about the same chances of being
fixed both ways, and not filing takes less effort.

I'm reminded of a friend of mine, who kept hoping to win the lottery
despite never buying a ticket. His reasoning was that the chances of
winning are not much changed by buying a ticket.

Shachar