Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

ag0aep6g anonymous at example.com
Thu Aug 23 16:39:32 UTC 2018

On 08/23/2018 05:17 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> And the nice thing about D being open source is that should the
> situation escalate to the point where the community simply cannot get
> along with W&A anymore, forking is always an option.

But forking only happens when the dissenters have enough motivation to
do it. If they don't, they might just fade away one by one, looking for
greener pastures elsewhere. That would probably be the worst outcome for
D: the community shrinks until it's just Walter and Andrei wondering
where everybody did go.

Now, I don't know if the amount of (quality) contributors is actually
growing, shrinking, or stagnating. But I do know that I feel the pull
(push?) away from D myself.

It feels like `@safe` and `shared` won't ever be solid. Auto-decoding
won't go away. Unsound conversions (e.g., `char` -> `dchar`) won't go
away. Regressions aren't being fixed (78 open). Wrong-code don't get
fixed (170!). Etc., and so on. So why even bother?

Currently, I'm toying with ideas for a hobby language of my own. I know
that it most likely won't go anywhere, but wasting time on that starts
to feel more rewarding than wasting it on D.