D on Twitter

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Thu Aug 23 23:40:09 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 22:49:32 UTC, Peter Alexander
wrote:
> For comparison:
>
> @rustlang:
> 32.7k followers
> 12.7k tweets
>
> @D_Programming:
> 10.1k followers
> 1k tweets
>
> 10,000 is a lot of people to reach, and 1k tweets over 8 years
> is too little to seem engaging.

Fair point. Thanks for bringing this up!
It's worth noting that Rust has full-time paid people working on
"community engineering".

> Some suggestions:
>
> * Post everything that happens from the Announce forum.
> https://twitter.com/dlang_ng does this, but it has effectively
> no followers. A bot could do this.

It's already automated and doing this automatically with the
trusted account is risky as everyone can post to NG.annouce.
However, every new blog entry does get posted on Twitter and
Facebook (not sure whether that's automated).

BTW we also have @dlangbot (https://twitter.com/dlangbot) which
tweets about every merged PR, but I think somehow no one knows
about this.

> * Subscribe to #dlang on twitter and retweet anything good. Not
> only does this highlight interesting D-related content, but
> also gives others incentive to discuss #dlang there.

AFAICT this is already been done and the official Twitter account
regularly retweets important #dlang tweets.

> I don't know who runs the account, but I think both of these
> should be quite easy to achieve with little effort. Of course,
> it is easy to be generous with others' time :-)

Mike Parker (aka aldacron) is the person who currently runs it
and while I agree that things could be better (they always can) I
do think he does a very good job at his one-man fight for D's
outreach.