D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Fri Aug 24 01:50:53 UTC 2018

On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 00:46:14 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> It seems, from someone without much historical perspective,
> that Phobos was intended to be something like the .Net
> Framework for D.  Perhaps there are a few fundamentals
> (std.algorithm, std.allocator, etc.) to keep, but for the
> others... move 'em to Dub and let the "free market" sort it out.

That might work for some use cases, but not for others. For my
use cases, a rock solid standard library is a basic requirement
(think STL, Boost, etc). These don't normally come out of a loose
knit community of individuals, there needs to be some sort of
organizational presence involved to ensure quality, consistency,
completeness, etc. If Phobos or an equivalent wasn't available at
its present level of quality then D wouldn't be in the
consideration set.

On the other hand, my use-cases don't have the requirements that
drive other folks towards removing dependence on druntime and
similar. An individual or organization's prioritization
preferences will depend on their goals.

--Jon