[OT] Leverage Points

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 03:06:40 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 18 August 2018 at 13:33:43 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> A friend recommended this article:
>
> http://donellameadows.org/archives/leverage-points-places-to-intervene-in-a-system/
>
> I found it awesome and would recommend to anyone in this
> community. Worth a close read - no skimming, no tl;rd etc. The
> question applicable to us - where are the best leverage points
> in making the D language more successful.
>

> Andrei

I don't have much influence on the first 4 types of "leverage
points" in D, but I have a suggestion for a new "rule of the
system" (5th most important type of leverage point).  Require
reviews from any user before merging their pull requests.
There's a number of ways you could implement the requirement,
maybe every PR that a user creates needs to have at least 1
review of another PR associated with it.  You could require more
or less reviews depending on the size of the PR queue.  You could
also look at developer's "review to pull request" ratio.  Just to
get an idea, I wrote a script to calculate some of this data
(github.com/marler8997/githubstats).  Here's the data for dmd,
sorted by review to pr ratio:

user                           review/pr      reviews  open_prs
merged_prs  closed_prs
ZombineDev                     25             250      0
7           3
stefan-koch-sociomantic        19.5           39       0
2           0
andralex                       17.95833333    431      0
17          7
jacob-carlborg                 16.18          809      2
41          7
kubasz                         12             12       1
0           0
dkgroot                        9              18       0
2           0
trikko                         8              8        1
0           0
timotheecour                   6.5            65       0
3           7
iain-buclaw-sociomantic        6              6        0
1           0
majiang                        6              6        0
1           0
JinShil                        5.858895706    955      6
129         28
TurkeyMan                      5.529411765    94       1
15          1
thewilsonator                  5.111111111    46       2
6           1
Geod24                         4.5            117      6
15          5
marler8997                     4.155172414    241      0
30          28
dmdw64                         4              4        0
1           0
leitimmel                      4              4        0
1           0
schveiguy                      3.833333333    23       0
5           1
atilaneves                     3.727272727    41       1
7           3
DmitryOlshansky                3.166666667    19       1
2           3
tgehr                          3.111111111    56       1
16          1
wilzbach                       2.946428571    990      25
250         61
FeepingCreature                2.9            29       3
6           1
mathias-lang-sociomantic       2.846153846    111      0
30          9
belm0                          2.666666667    8        0
2           1
n8sh                           2.5            5        1
1           0
dgileadi                       2.5            10       1
2           1
UplinkCoder                    2.186813187    199      3
52          36
rikkimax                       2              6        1
0           2
EyalIO                         2              2        0
1           0
MoritzMaxeiner                 2              2        1
0           0
rtbo                           2              2        0
1           0
belka-ew                       2              2        0
1           0
RazvanN7                       1.893333333    284      8
116         26
ntrel                          1.846153846    48       2
21          3
nemanja-boric-sociomantic      1.8            9        0
3           2
MetaLang                       1.8            9        0
3           2
joakim-noah                    1.571428571    11       1
4           2
Darredevil                     1.5            3        0
1           1
skl131313                      1.5            9        1
3           2
JackStouffer                   1.5            3        0
2           0
arBmind                        1.5            3        0
1           1
CyberShadow                    1.474576271    87       0
53          6
BBasile                        1.36           34       0
11          14
Burgos                         1.333333333    4        0
3           0
ibuclaw                        1.32967033     484      15
293         56
klickverbot                    1.327586207    77       0
53          5
kinke                          1.186046512    51       1
37          5
quickfur                       1.09375        35       0
25          7
don-clugston-sociomantic       1              1        0
0           1
tsbockman                      1              5        1
2           2
rainers                        0.9832635983   235      5
221         13
WalterBright                   0.796728972    1364     15
1607        90
JohanEngelen                   0.7575757576   25       0
22          11
John-Colvin                    0.75           3        1
2           1
Biotronic                      0.75           3        1
1           2
adamdruppe                     0.7333333333   11       2
8           5
yshui                          0.6666666667   4        0
5           1
mihails-strasuns               0.6086956522   14       0
12          11
mihails-strasuns-sociomantic   0.5            10       0
19          1
Syniurge                       0.5            1        0
1           1
aG0aep6G                       0.4666666667   7        0
13          2
MartinNowak                    0.4323308271   230      8
458         66
LemonBoy                       0.431372549    22       7
27          17
LightBender                    0.4            2        0
2           3
IgorStepanov                   0.3714285714   13       2
22          11
somzzz                         0.3684210526   7        0
12          7
yazd                           0.3333333333   1        0
3           0
jmdavis                        0.3            3        1
6           3
Ingrater                       0.2857142857   4        0
12          2
jpf91                          0.1904761905   4        0
12          9
nordlow                        0.1818181818   2        0
7           4
WalterWaldron                  0.1666666667   1        0
6           0
leandro-lucarella-sociomantic  0.15           6        0
31          9
denis-sh                       0.1428571429   1        0
6           1
yebblies                       0.05793742758  50       5
767         91
braddr                         0.05309734513  6        0
102         11
donc                           0              0        0
253         17
michelf                        0              0        0
4           3
complexmath                    0              0        0
5           3
9rnsr                          0              0        14
1861        140
Govelius                       0              0        0
13          2
wolfwood                       0              0        0
2           0
jnschulze                      0              0        0
1           0
rawler                         0              0        0
0           1
torarin                        0              0        0
0           1
mrmonday                       0              0        0
4           1
kennytm                        0              0        0
20          11
<unknown>                      0              0        0
151         71
Poita                          0              0        0
4           0
ckamm                          0              0        0
3           0
Marenz                         0              0        0
0           1
mleise                         0              0        0
2           1
dsimcha                        0              0        0
3           0
Abscissa                       0              0        0
4           1
alexrp                         0              0        0
13          10
llucax                         0              0        0
15          4
revellian                      0              0        0
0           1
timesqueezer                   0              0        0
1           0
jcd                            0              0        0
0           3
Trass3r                        0              0        0
3           5
ohjames                        0              0        0
1           0
carlor                         0              0        0
3           1
venix1                         0              0        0
0           1
wrzoski                        0              0        0
0           1
Safety0ff                      0              0        0
8           2
bhelyer                        0              0        0
1           0
brad-anderson                  0              0        0
14          2
p0nce                          0              0        0
2           0
NilsBossung                    0              0        0
2           2
chadjoan                       0              0        0
0           1
ricochet1k                     0              0        0
1           1
redstar                        0              0        2
37          6
asterite                       0              0        0
1           0
dheld                          0              0        0
8           0
jmaschme                       0              0        0
0           3
biozic                         0              0        0
1           0
repeatedly                     0              0        0
1           0
edmccard                       0              0        0
1           1
jkm                            0              0        0
0           1
pszturmaj                      0              0        0
1           0
shoo                           0              0        0
1           1
ony                            0              0        0
1           1
jholewinski                    0              0        0
1           0
bioinfornatics                 0              0        0
1           0
monarchdodra                   0              0        0
3           0
dsagal                         0              0        0
1           0
jkrempus                       0              0        0
1           1
sgraf812                       0              0        0
1           0
glycerine                      0              0        0
0           3
eskimor                        0              0        0
2           1
lionello                       0              0        0
15          10
hpohl                          0              0        1
51          22
jordisayol                     0              0        0
0           1
huhlig                         0              0        0
1           0
AlexeyProkhin                  0              0        0
1           1
Numpsy                         0              0        0
1           0
atlant2011                     0              0        0
1           0
Kapps                          0              0        0
2           0
elvisxzhou                     0              0        0
1           0
WebDrake                       0              0        0
1           1
Dgame                          0              0        0
0           3
AndrewEdwards                  0              0        0
7           2
D8174                          0              0        0
1           0
schuetzm                       0              0        0
5           4
nazriel                        0              0        0
1           0
yglukhov                       0              0        0
2           2
Yoplitein                      0              0        0
1           0
Orvid                          0              0        0
9           3
andron                         0              0        0
6           1
SSPkrolik                      0              0        0
1           0
MasonMcGill                    0              0        0
0           1
qchikara                       0              0        0
4           0
Hackerpilot                    0              0        0
2           1
damianday                      0              0        0
0           1
dcarp                          0              0        0
1           0
jasonbking                     0              0        0
3           0
jcrapuchettes                  0              0        0
1           0
teufelsmangagirl               0              0        0
0           2
ltcmelo                        0              0        0
1           0
dragoon2014                    0              0        0
1           0
jamestn                        0              0        0
1           0
9il                            0              0        0
4           3
etcimon                        0              0        0
3           1
tramker                        0              0        0
7           4
asuhan                         0              0        0
0           1
Temtaime                       0              0        0
1           2
gchatelet                      0              0        0
5           2
deadalnix                      0              0        0
1           1
cqexbesd                       0              0        0
2           0
smolt                          0              0        0
6           1
legrosbuffle                   0              0        0
4           1
davispuh                       0              0        0
1           1
Kozzi11                        0              0        1
6           0
burner                         0              0        0
1           1
Rajeep                         0              0        0
0           1
dsp                            0              0        0
1           2
luismarques                    0              0        0
6           1
andrej-mitrovic-sociomantic    0              0        0
1           0
AndrejMitrovic                 0              0        1
7           3
Cauterite                      0              0        0
3           5
TheDharc                       0              0        0
0           1
flaviommedeiros                0              0        0
1           1
TungstenHeart                  0              0        1
0           0
blm768                         0              0        1
0           0
landaire                       0              0        0
2           0
Computermatronic               0              0        0
0           1
joakim-brannstrom              0              0        0
1           0
alphaKAI                       0              0        0
1           0
rjmcguire                      0              0        1
0           0
calexHG                        0              0        0
2           0
Passw                          0              0        0
3           0
Pursche                        0              0        0
1           0
stevepeak                      0              0        0
1           0
Jebbs                          0              0        0
1           0
NVolcz                         0              0        0
1           0
ahmetsait                      0              0        0
0           1
andrey-zherikov                0              0        0
1           0
GooberMan                      0              0        0
1           0
dhasenan                       0              0        0
0           2
mathias-baumann-sociomantic    0              0        0
1           1
MaskRay                        0              0        0
1           0
epi                            0              0        0
1           0
e-y-e                          0              0        0
1           0
e10s                           0              0        0
2           1
dukc                           0              0        0
0           1
ka7                            0              0        0
2           0
DrInfiniteExplorer             0              0        1
0           0
s-ludwig                       0              3        0
0           0
nrTQgc                         0              0        0
1           0
zachthemystic                  0              0        0
1           0
MikeWey                        0              2        0
0           0
ReneZwanenburg                 0              2        0
0           0
veelo                          0              2        0
0           0
jll63                          0              0        0
1           0
nmtigor                        0              0        0
1           0
dunkyp                         0              0        0
2           0
jercaianu                      0              0        0
1           0
carun                          0              2        0
0           0
monkeywithacupcake             0              0        0
0           1
bausshf                        0              1        0
0           0
gautam-kotian-sociomantic      0              1        0
0           0
lgvz                           0              0        0
1           0
kubo39                         0              0        2
3           1
GabyForceQ                     0              0        0
1           0
aliak00                        0              1        0
0           0
gapdan                         0              0        0
1           0