Embrace the from template?

Anton Fediushin fediushin.anton at yandex.com
Fri Aug 24 12:06:15 UTC 2018

On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 06:41:35 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> Ever since I read
> https://dlang.org/blog/2017/02/13/a-new-import-idiom/ I've very
> much enjoyed using the new `from` template.  It unlocks new
> idioms in D and have been so useful that I thought it might be
> a good addition to the core language.  I've found that having
> it in a different place in each project and always having to
> remember to import it makes it much less ubiquitous for me.
>
> One idea is we could add this template to `object.d`.  This
> would allow it to be used from any module that uses druntime
> without having to import it first.  The template itself is also
> very friendly to "bloat" because it only has a single input
> parameter which is just a string, extremely easy to memoize.
> Also, unless it is instantiated, adding it to object.d will
> have virtually no overhead (just a few AST nodes which would
> dwarfed by what's already in object.d).  It would also be very
> easy to add, a single PR with 4 lines of code to druntime and
> we're done.
>
> Of course, if we don't want to encourage use of the `from`
> template then this is not what we'd want.  Does anyone have any
> data/experience with from?  All I know is my own usage so feel
> free to chime in with yours.

There's no reason to mess with `object.d` or add it to phobos.
Just make a dub package and use it!

I just published it on the dub registry in public domain (I hope
Daniel Nielsen is ok with that. After all, it's just 3 lines of
code)

Package page: https://from.dub.pm/

Have a good day and don't overthink simple things,
Anton