Embrace the from template?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 22:43:53 UTC 2018

On 8/24/18 6:29 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 20:36:06 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 20:04:22 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>>> I'd gladly fix it but alas, my pull requests are ignored :(
>>
>> They aren't! It's just that sometimes the review queue is pretty full.
>> I have told you before that your contributions are very welcome (like
>> they are from everyone else) and if there's anything blocking your
>> productivity you can always ping me on Slack.
>
> Don't tempt me to start contributing again :)  I had months where I got
> almost no attention on a dozen or so PRs...I love to contribute but I'd
> have to be mad to continue throwing dozens of hours of work away.

I thought we were going to get the unittest import problem solved, but
then you closed the PR abruptly (we did get phobos to stop compiling
with -dip1000 so we could work around the linker errors).

In any case, I can understand the feeling of frustration. I also have no
power to force others to review who make important decisions, so I can't
guarantee it won't happen again. I myself would love to have the time to
get more reps with the compiler code, but I'm hopelessly lost when
reviewing dmd stuff currently.

> If the problem gets solved I'll willingly start working again, but I
> don't think anything's changed.

I'll just be blunt -- I don't think "the problem" is ever going to get
solved. This is the world of volunteer OSS development, and nobody has
control over anyone's time but themselves. Things could go great for a
month and then stagnate. If you hit on something that some VIP is
looking to solve, it may get a lot of attention.

But I would recommend letting a PR stay open, pinging reviewers, etc.
instead of closing them. Don't give up hope that it will not ever be merged.

-Steve