D is dead

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 23:26:17 UTC 2018

On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 22:52:07 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

> I really don't want to see dlang have to maintain posix system
> calls on all supported OSes when that's already being done for
> us.
>
> Windows makes this simpler -- the system calls are separate
> from the C runtime. It would be nice if Posix systems were that
> way, but it's both silly to reinvent the system calls (they are
> on every OS anyways, and in shared-library form), and a
> maintenance nightmare.

Keep in mind that we only need to implement the system calls that
we need.  I haven't looked into Phobos, and probably never will.
My interest is mostly in druntime.  At this time, I think we only
need 2:  `sbrk` and `mmap` for `malloc`. I don't consider that
much of a maintenance burden, and `malloc` and friends are my
least concern at the moment.

We're disproportionately leveraging libc in druntime; there are
only a few things needed from libc for druntime, and I think I
can demonstrate benefit writing them in D (or if someone else
wants to, please do, I may never even get to it).

If I even stick around in the D community long enough to pursue
this, this change it'll be incremental and I'll demonstrate
benefit each step of the way.

Mike