Suggestion: Bug fix releases (Re: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Yuxuan Shui yshuiv7 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:36:24 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 at 11:59:37 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
wrote:
> Just found by chance, if someone is interested [1] [2].
>
> /Paolo
>
> [1]
> https://gitlab.com/mihails.strasuns/blog/blob/master/articles/on_leaving_d.md
> [2]
> https://blog.mist.global/articles/My_concerns_about_D_programming_language.html

I find Dicebot's article resonates quite strongly with me. I have
been using D for hobby projects (i.e. not a lot of code) for
about 3 years. During that time I found a handful of compiler
bugs. An average programmer like me shouldn't be able to find
bugs in the compiler so frequently.

And there are other problems, like language features interact
weirdly, unhelpful/misleading error messages. All of this really
gives me an impression that D is an immature language.

I think this is a pretty big problem, and I think it has not been
given enough attention (never appeared in bold in the vision
documents), probably until now.

So what if, we just forget about @safe, @nogc, and stuff like
that for while, do a feature freeze and try our best to fix all
the bugs, and rough corners?