Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Sun Aug 26 01:56:59 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 25 August 2018 at 23:46:54 UTC, Radu wrote:

> I think you need to look at Dlang as what it is - still WIP and
> mostly *community driven*.
>
> I got used to the occasional breaking or regression, and the
> best I can advise is to try to report or fix them if you can.
> There are still lots of things to be removed/added/or fixed in
> the language and the standard libraries - breakage will appear,
> and looks that most users expect some kind of breakage.

This is not good enough. Yes, D users expect "some kind of
breakage" - all the time, and this is exactly the problem. In D
people have put up with breakages for too long believing things
will improve in the long run, and because of this it is assumed
that users will put up with it forever and ever and ever. Has it
never occurred to anyone that many users have got sick and tired
of this? I mean, there are other languages out there and you can
get things done in no time and your program will still compile
next week. I say it again, D has come a long way and things were
looking good, but it's going nowhere. Look at this thread. Very
intelligent people, top programmers, top engineers are arguing
over details, while users (of D) who are programming for other
users are trying to say "Stop!".

There's a huge difference between developing D and developing
_in_ D.