Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sun Aug 26 16:25:31 UTC 2018

On 27/08/2018 4:09 AM, lurker wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 August 2018 at 14:17:33 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Sunday, 26 August 2018 at 14:00:56 UTC, nkm1 wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> What did I expect? Better: What do I expect now. I've been using D for
>> years now. I think it's time for D to offer users the same stability
>> as other languages do. Simple as.
>
> lurking around this board for a long time and gave up on d2 along time
> ago. it is to scripty. i can not convince anybody at work to use it even
> for small things under windows. some tried it and they say it is to
> buggy, misses windows essentials and there seems to be no chance of
> betterment via management or the compiler enthusiasts that rather
> implement any fancy fart instead of getting the compiler stable, bug
> free and usable.
> it seems like this is a language experiment, unusable for serious
> development.
> i just downloaded current beta 2 and visual D. installs ok, no detection
> of visual studio or any of the associated paths. visual D installed ok,
> but a click on menu options killed visual studio.
> i uninstalled successfully - hallelujah.
> so i lurk around for an other year an see if D experiment is still
> around and/or usable.

Both VisualD and dmd should work out of the box with MSVC and Visual
Studio. In the last year I have not seen any reports of either failing
out-right without something wrong with the users environment making it
problematic.

So please report any issues you're having. Because they are not regular
user experience.