Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Sjoerd Nijboer dlang at sjoerdnijboer.com
Sun Aug 26 16:45:08 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 26 August 2018 at 16:25:31 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 27/08/2018 4:09 AM, lurker wrote:
>> On Sunday, 26 August 2018 at 14:17:33 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> lurking around this board for a long time and gave up on d2
>> along time ago. it is to scripty. i can not convince anybody
>> at work to use it even for small things under windows. some
>> tried it and they say it is to buggy, misses windows
>> essentials and there seems to be no chance of betterment via
>> management or the compiler enthusiasts that rather implement
>> any fancy fart instead of getting the compiler stable, bug
>> free and usable.
>> it seems like this is a language experiment, unusable for
>> serious development.
>> i just downloaded current beta 2 and visual D. installs ok, no
>> detection of visual studio or any of the associated paths.
>> visual D installed ok, but a click on menu options killed
>> visual studio.
>> i uninstalled successfully - hallelujah.
>> so i lurk around for an other year an see if D experiment is
>> still around and/or usable.
>
> Both VisualD and dmd should work out of the box with MSVC and
> Visual Studio. In the last year I have not seen any reports of
> either failing out-right without something wrong with the users
> environment making it problematic.
>
> So please report any issues you're having. Because they are not
> regular user experience.

The first five minutes of VisualD and DUB are rough!
Consecutively they shun me away a lot of the time.

I'm also lurking on the forums for all of D's promises, but it
doesn't seem productively useable outside of isolated projects
whitout tightly locked down dependencies and the ability to
maintain your own compiler and libraries.
It might be in practise, but it certainly doesn't look to be so.

https://forum.dlang.org/post/ydggepqkufeqaauoicsz@forum.dlang.org