Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 19:34:39 UTC 2018

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 12:10, RhyS via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 26 August 2018 at 18:18:04 UTC, drug wrote:
> > It's rather funny to see how one man who forced to program in
> > programming language he doesn't like can triggers comments from
> > lurkers that they don't like D too. No offense.
> > D is in great form and is getting much better and better and
> > I'd like to ask D community to continue their good work and
> > make D great again.
>
> Most people lurking here are people that WANT to use D but are
> offset by the issues. D is not bad as a language but it has
> issue. Their are issues at every step in the D eco system and
> each of those create a barrier.
>
> Its those same issues that never seem to get solved and are
> secondary citizens compared to adding more "future" features or
> trying to Up-one C++...
>
> Its not BetterC or static if or whatever new feature of the
> month, that brings in new people. You can advertise D as much as
> you want, but when people download D and very few people stay, is
> that not a hint...
>
> The fact that only recently the D Poll pointed out that most
> people are using VSC and not VS. I am like "what, you only figure
> that out now". Given the mass popularity of VSC... That alone
> tells you how much the mindset of D is stuck in a specific eco
> space.

Industry tends to use VS, because they fork-out for the relatively
expensive licenses.
I work at a company with a thousand engineers, all VS users, D could
find home there if some rough edges were polished, but they
*absolutely must be polished* before it would be taken seriously.
It is consistently expressed that poor VS integration is an absolute
non-starter.

While a majority of people (hobbyists?) that take an online poll in an
open-source community forum might be VSCode users, that doesn't mean
VS is a poor priority target.
Is D a hobby project, or an industry solution? I vote the latter. I
don't GAF about peoples hobbies, I just want to use D to _do my job_.
Quality VS experience is critical to D's adoption in that sector.
Those 1000 engineers aren't reflected in your poll... would you like them to be?