Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Sjoerd Nijboer dlang at sjoerdnijboer.com
Mon Aug 27 02:15:08 UTC 2018

On Monday, 27 August 2018 at 01:45:37 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> I think D is a classic example of Clayton Christensen's
> Innovators Dilemma.  In the beginning a certain kind of
> innovation starts at the fringe.  It's inferior alongst some
> dimensions compared to the products with high market share and
> so it gets kind of ignored.

Those inferior dimentions for me are productivity in the form of
code-navigation, proper autocompletion, a package manager with a
wizard, stability of the toolchain, auto C/C++/D header
translation and a project manager with a wizard.
All with proper GUI support since I'm IDE challenged.
I leterally can't work whitout one.
I guess I could, but someone would have to invest serious time in
helping me out with the issues I face for getting up to a level
of skill where I would be productive in D whitout an IDE.

I can't create or improve this tooling by myself  because I don't
have the neccesary knowledge and skill required for said tooling,
but I'm willing to back some kind of crowd funded kickstarter if
needed.

Don't get me wronf, every few months when i check D's ecosystem
out I see massive improvements and I acknowledge that there is a
good amounth of tooling for D already, it just isn't up to a
standard for me where I can say that D is a good alternative for
the usecases where it should shine brightly.