Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Aug 28 07:30:01 UTC 2018

On 8/27/2018 2:14 AM, Chris wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 August 2018 at 22:44:05 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Because nobody thought about that issue before. A lot of things only become
>> apparent in hindsight.
> QED. With this approach you do more harm than good. I have a bad feeling about
> the way things are going atm.

I can quote you a loooong list of problems that are obvious only in hindsight,
by world leading development teams.

Start by watching the documentary series "Aviation Disasters", look at
Challenger, Deepwater Horizon, Fukushima, Apollo 1, Apollo 13, the World Trade
Centers, etc. Of course, there are a number of them in C, C++, Java, Javascript,
basically every language I've worked with.

I'll guarantee every non-trivial project you've worked on has problems that are
obvious only in hindsight, too. If you wait till it's perfect, you'll never
ship, and yet it'll *still* have problems.

I'm not making excuses for mistakes - just don't have unworkable requirements.

The end of the day is, does D get the job done for you better than other
languages? That's a decision only you can make.