D now has a dangerous competitor

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Aug 28 23:27:09 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 at 21:57:28 UTC, solidstate1991 wrote:

> Thanks to my education, I first wanted to approach every
> problems in programming from an object-oriented viewpoint,
> since that was the only one we were taught.

Sounds like you were more or less lucky compared to average: For
a long while, OOP wasn't just the only thing taught, it was
frequent taught specifically to be "the one and only right way."

It's not so much OOP itself that's hated: It's the late 90's
early 2000's obsession that OOP is the one right way to do
EVERYTHING that gets a lot of (much deserved) hate.

I used to do a lot of OO myself (in fact, Tango was very heavily
rooted in OOP design), but the more I use D2 and other things,
the more convinced I am that there are just simply better
mechanisms (provided the language in question supports them well
enough) to get the benefits offered by traditional
inheritance-based OOP, without so much of the now-well-known
downsides. I'm 90% convinced that an equivalent of traditional
Java-style OOP could be constructed out of these meachanisms
without too much trouble, and is effectively a subset of them. If
I were a grad student, I would totally do a thesis around that.