Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Laeeth Isharc Laeeth at laeeth.com
Wed Aug 29 23:47:11 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 at 08:51:27 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 at 08:44:26 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>
>> When people choose a programming language, there are several
>> boxes that have to be ticked, like for example:
>>
>> - what's the future of language X? (guarantees, stability)
>> - how easy is it to get going (from "Hello world" to a
>> complete tool chain)
>> - will it run on ARM?
>> - will it be a good choice for the Web (e.g. webasm)?
>> - how good is it at data processing / number grinding
>> - etc.
>>

> I don't know if all their claims are 100% true, but let that
> sink in for a while:
>
> https://julialang.org/.

Julia is great.  I don't see it as a competitor to D but for us
one way researchers might access libraries written in D.  One
could do quite a lot in it, but I don't much fancy embedding
Julia in Excel for example, though you could.  Or doing DevOps in
Julia.  Perhaps more of a Matlab substitute.

Look around and you can find people grumpy about any language
that's used.
http://www.zverovich.net/2016/05/13/giving-up-on-julia.html

Languages really aren't in a battle to the death with each other.
  I find this zero-sum mindset quite peculiar.