D now has a dangerous competitor

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Thu Aug 30 08:54:18 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 30 August 2018 at 07:01:11 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 08/29/2018 12:53 AM, bauss wrote:
>>
>> Honestly C++ did OOP somewhat right, because it wasn't forced
>> upon you, but C++ itself has design issues, that I think D has
>> solved very well.
>>
>> D does OOP better than C++, but D is still missing some very
>> common OOP patterns.
>>
>> See:
>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/tjqxslxfxjgliyziznvk@forum.dlang.org
>
> Ugh, honestly, I'm getting really tired of seeing facepalm
> moments like that in D: Things that are CLEARLY either bugs or
> outright wrong design that wind up getting bizarrely defended
> instead of fixed.
>
> I still enjoy developing in D far more than any other language.
> It's the only one that doesn't make me feel straightjacketed -
> or like I NEED a straightjacket. But all these facepalms are
> really making my forehead hurt...

I agree with that.

Then the discussions drag on for years before they finally have
an implementation draft that is stalled for a few years more and
then finally implemented, but by the time that has been done the
people who wanted all those features has moved on to other
languages etc. because they're tired of how long things drag out.
The whole dicebot thread is a prime example.