Is @safe still a work-in-progress?

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Thu Aug 30 17:43:38 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 at 13:53:42 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 at 08:35:30 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 8/28/2018 10:18 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>>> Bugzilla is not documentation. These are language changes
>>> they need to be in release notes and the spec.
>>
>> You asked for a clue: "we have no clue WTF its supposed to do
>> or why the changes are being made" and there it is. There are
>> no barriers to reviewing the idea nor the implementation.
>
> I don't know how much more blunt I can be while still being
> professional about it:
> _this must be documented properly_. This is not just about us
> reviewing it, this is also about people using it.

I can confirm that, from a user's perspective, (the state of)
DIP1000 is not clearly defined. I read the forums so I know
Phobos is not completely compatible yet, but I don't know what
that means to me. The documentation for -dip1000 [1] simply
refers to the DIP text, and after reading that I decide I want
it. Then, possibly a while after switching to it, I start getting
(mangled) link errors. It is not obvious to me that these relate
to -dip1000 (which means wasting some time in trouble shooting)
but they disappear after I take away that option. I would have
appreciated if [1] would have included or linked to information
on the situations in which you can successfully use -dip1000, and
what are the symptoms when you move outside that envelope (link
errors, presumably). At the very least, [1] could/should stress
that -dip switches enable experimental functionality and that
certain things are known to not work.

I do seem to be able to use -dip25 without issues though.

[1] https://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html