This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Aug 31 20:42:38 UTC 2018

On Friday, 31 August 2018 at 19:50:20 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> Typical comments:
>
> "`assertAndContinue` crashes in dev and logs an error and keeps
> going in prod. Each time we want to verify a runtime
> assumption, we decide which type of assert to use. We prefer
> `assertAndContinue` (and I push for it in code review),"
>
> "Stopping all executing may not be the correct 'safe state' for
> an airplane though!"
>
> "One faction believed you should never intentionally crash the
> app"
>
> "One place I worked had a team that was very adamant about not
> really having much error checking. Not much of any qc process,
> either. Wait for someone to complain about bad data and
> respond. Honestly, this worked really well for small,
> skunkworks type projects that needed to be nimble."
>
> And on and on. It's unbelievable. The conventional wisdom in
> software for how to deal with programming bugs simply does not
> exist.
>
> Here's the same topic on Reddit with the same awful ideas:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/9bl72d/assertions_in_production_code/
>
> No wonder that DVD players still hang when you insert a DVD
> with a scratch on it, and I've had a lot of DVD and Bluray
> players over the last 20 years. No wonder that malware is
> everywhere.

You would probably enjoy this talk.

"Hayley Denbraver We Are 3000 Years Behind: Let's Talk About
Engineering Ethics"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUSJePqplDA

I think that until lawsuits and software refunds due to
malfunctions escalate to a critical level, the situation will
hardly change.

Some countries do have engineering certifications and
professional permits for software engineering, but its still a
minority.

--
Paulo