This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

tide tide at tide.tide
Fri Aug 31 21:40:50 UTC 2018

On Friday, 31 August 2018 at 21:31:02 UTC, 0xEAB wrote:
> On Friday, 31 August 2018 at 21:21:16 UTC, tide wrote:
>> Depends on the software being developed, for a game? Stopping
>> at every assert would be madness. Let a lone having an over
>> ubundance of asserts. Can't even imagine how many asserts
>> there would be in for something like a matrix multiplication.
>
> If one is aware that something is asserting quite often, why
> don't they just fix the bug that causes that assertion to fail?

The asserts being there still cause slow downs in things that
would otherwise not be slow. Like how D does assert checks for
indices.

> Furthermore, how often have we cursed about games that hung up
> with a blackscreen and didn't let us close them by any mean
> other than logging off? If they just crashed, we'd not have run
> into such problems.

That's assuming an assert catches every error. Not all bugs are
going to be caught by an assert. I don't think I've ever had a
game hung up in a black screen and not be able to close it.