Origins of the D Programming Language

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Dec 1 00:10:49 UTC 2018

On 11/30/2018 3:55 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> Github is such an indispensable tool.
>
> Lemme slightly correct you here: it is git that tracks this stuff and
> distributes the history to several third parties who can corroborate you.
>
> Github, of course, helps coordinate with those other people, and their brand
> name surely helps in recognition, but I don't wanna give it too much credit
> because I do think it is important that we remember that it can be replaced...
> and probably will replace them someday. (They would have recently gone under if
> not bailed out by Microsoft!) Specific companies come and go, but the underlying
> methodology outlives that.

I mentioned Github instead of just git because being a third party I think it
would be very difficult to fake a Github provenance, while a git repository
stored on your own disk would be fake-able.

As for switching to another repository, we imported to Github the data from the
public repository we used at the time, and that would be done again were there a
better replacement for Github. So I'm not concerned about it.