Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sat Dec 1 09:53:30 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 at 11:27:03 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 November 2018 at 23:20:08 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> As my first post notes, 64-bit ARM laptops are now shipping
>> and more are on the way:
>>
>> https://www.anandtech.com/show/13498/samsung-unveils-galaxy-book2-12inch-snapdragon-850-with-x20-lte-20-hrs
>>
>> https://wccftech.com/snapdragon-8180-new-details-octacore-soc/
>
> We'll see where that goes, the Windows ARM adventure with x86
> emulation had to fail of course.

It works fine, performance is good enough for most.

> If the power efficiency of ARM was really much better than x86,
> I wonder why it hasn't exploded in the server market yet, where
> software compatibility shouldn't play that big a role. Judging
> by the performance of the AArch64 boxes provided by
> Shippable/Packet (using -j16 leading to a performance similar
> to -j3 for an x86 CI service, for the LDC CI suite, but
> requiring obviously a lot more memory for that throughput), I
> guess it's not that much better when the x86 chips are tweaked
> for throughput (server CPUs: lower frequencies, lower voltages,
> much more cores).

Amazon just announced their own custom-designed AArch64 server
core for AWS:

https://www.servethehome.com/putting-aws-graviton-its-arm-cpu-performance-in-context/

I mentioned the Cloudflare server benchmarks against Intel
earlier in this thread, comparable performance with half the
electric power dissipation:

https://blog.cloudflare.com/arm-takes-wing/

All that said, I don't think cloud will matter that much, as
mobile p2p is poised to replace a lot of it.