Origins of the D Programming Language

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sun Dec 2 15:30:31 UTC 2018

On Friday, November 30, 2018 6:23:33 PM MST H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2018 at 01:14:58AM +0000, Neia Neutuladh via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 17:00:00 -0800, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > > Lines 1049-1050: I wasn't there at the time, so this may be
> > > inaccurate, but I clearly remember someone mentioning that Tango has
> > > been ported to D2 and is quite usable, at least as of a few years
> > > ago.  But I haven't tried it myself, so I can't for sure whether
> > > this is actually the case.  But it's worth checking so that the HOPL
> > > document is factually accurate.
> >
> > It's updated to roughly 2.068, I think, and doesn't really compile
> > beyond that.
> >
> > I tried to update it to the most recent DMD, but that was painful. If
> > I try in the future, I'll probably go one major release at a time.
>
> So I'm guessing that other than Sociomantic(?), there aren't any other
> major codebases out there that use Tango?

Likely not, and Sociomantic uses their own fork of it, so I don't know how
different it is to what Tango was. As I understand it, the core Tango folks
mostly abandoned it as D1 started dying off, and they were uninterested in
D2. As a result, it was quite a while before Tango was ported to D2, and so
any projects that used it would either have been stuck using D1 or had to be
rewritten to not use D2 for Tango anyway. So, I think that the combination
of Tango not being ported to D2 very quickly and the fact that many of the
folks heavily into D1 did not like D2 resulted in very few D2 projects using
Tango. And since at this point, it doesn't even compile anymore, no projects
really can be using it even if someone wanted to. Sociomantic's Ocean is the
closest that anyone could be using right now without putting in a lot of
work to fix up Tango.

- Jonathan M Davis